The American and French Revolutionary movements are the testaments to the fact that revolution might be difficult, but it is certainly not impossible. The veterans who participated in these movements have left behind a legacy that will be upheld by the generations to follow. Thomas Paine was one such integral member of these revolutionary movements. Quotes by Thomas Paine openly called for independence of America from Great Britain in ‘Common Sense’ and inspired thousands of revolutionaries to revolt against the crown.
Paine’s writings involved discovering and fighting for fundamental rights of common man, hence; you may find them relatable in today’s date also. Despite his powerful writing, he faced several criticisms for his thoughts in ‘American crisis’ and was imprisoned for not endorsing the execution of Louis XVI. In this blog, we have picked up 15 mind-blowing quotes by Thomas Paine to inspire your patriotic feelings.
- “We have it in our power to begin the world over again.”
- “Such is the irresistible nature of truth that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.”
- “It is the duty of every man, as far as his ability extends, to detect and expose delusion and error.”
- “Suspicion is the companion of mean souls, and the bane of all good society.”
- “The mind once enlightened cannot again become dark.”
- “Whatever is my right as a man is also the right of another; and it becomes my duty to guarantee as well as to possess.”
- “A body of men holding themselves accountable to nobody ought not to be trusted by anybody.”
- “The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.”
- “Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.”
- “Older generations are living proof that younger generations can survive their lunacy.”
- “Few can be induced to labor exclusively for posterity. Posterity has done nothing for us.”
- “The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.”
- “Those who want to reap the benefits of this great nation must bear the fatigue of supporting it.”
- “He who is the author of a war lets loose the whole contagion of hell and opens a vein that bleeds a nation to death.”
- “Any system of religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child cannot be true.”
Thomas Paine had an extraordinary political career, and his literature proved a major intellectual stimulus to the colonies’ secession from Britain. We hope you enjoy reading Thomas Paine quotes and gain valuable insights from them.